© a Quinn Martin production
Lots of you have been asking what you can do to help. This year's resolution is to affect change on The Angeles and take back OUR forest. I will have an online petition circulating soon. Thanks everybody.

Introduction:
I originally wanted to blog about my adventures in the San Gabriel Mountains. I have some good stories, like the time I took a donkey to Ralph's Supermarket. But then the Station Fire started. I realized that there is much that needs to be brought to the attention of the mountain going public. Most folks are kept in the dark about how the Angeles National Forest operates. I will raise issues that are important to me, which are hopefully important to all citizens, but if you have any suggestions for discussion here, I am willing.

Here's the big agenda: Forest Supervisor Jody Noiron. I've made a few smart remarks and cryptic comments about her. But now, with the backing of some knowledgeable and trusted friends, it is time for a concerted effort to have her removed from her post. Stay tuned for details. And if you have any information you would like to contribute, anonymously or not, email me at gregsweet4@yahoo.com

I will get to some of the stories, sooner or later. Also, I want to make it clear that I no longer work at Adams' Pack Station, that these words are my own, and that the pack station is not the source of my information - they don't want trouble.

Reservoir Dogs

About two months ago I learned about yet another underhanded thing that Angeles National Forest Supervisor Jody Noiron has done. In fact, it may be criminal; or ought to be. It seems that she approved the construction of the new snow-making reservoir at Baldy Notch (Mt. Baldy Ski Resort) without any Environmental Impact Report, without a NEPA (National Environmental Policy Act) study, and without even so much as a Negative Declaration.

I was first told that it was a one million gallon reservoir, but it is actually nine million gallons. It seems that a diversion of this quantity of water from its natural course is worthy of investigation. Besides, it's the law; many laws.

So I took this information to the Center for Biological Diversity in Arizona (actually, I e-mailed it). I was beginning to think they weren't interested or missed the e-mail or something because they never got back to me. Finally I got a letter from the FSEEE - the Forest Service Employees for Environmental Ethics. This was established as an internal watchdog group of various "ologists" whose first loyalty is to their respective science, and not to the agency itself. As we can see, there is a need for them.

A representative of FSEEE told me that she first searched the databases for information on this new reservoir but found no mention of it. She admitted that sometimes the information is slow and the websites are difficult to use. So she made a few phone calls straight to the Angeles National Forest and was "shuffled around" until she was told that somebody would get back to her. Nobody did.

In the meantime, I heard that it caused quite a stir in the forest. And Jody was especially pissed because she has a gag order in effect (have you noticed they shut down their Twitter news feed?). Her first reaction was to pull the permit of the ski resort. Typical. But she realized that this would just bring more attention to the matter when she would have to explain why the facility was locked down. Instead she took it out on an employee that she suspects of leaking the information. She was suspended without pay. Also typical.

Now, I don't know this employee; I don't even know her name or where she works. I don't get my information from a Forest Service employee. So I honestly don't know the route this info took to get to me, but I suspect most of the employees, at least on the San Gabriel River Ranger District, all knew about the reservoir. There are not that many employees and word gets 'round. And I am the one that contacted the CBD, not this innocent employee.

I contacted the FSEEE rep again and told her what had happened. Another part of the FSEEE's mission is to protect whistle-blowers. She sounded appalled and is going to look into the matter. Since then I have learned that the suspended employee has secured an attorney. This attorney has apparently had previous run-ins with Jody Noiron. He is now wondering what the heck is going on in the Angeles and why so many employees are going to him with cases against Jody. I also heard that this lawyer is interested in trying to get her removed. Are you starting to believe me when I tell you she's an intolerable witch?


(click to enlarge)

I am disappointed to say that a couple of people that seemed to be good for the forest may also be culpable in this.

2 comments:

Bellis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bellis said...

oops, I'll try to post this again.
How awful that an innocent employee was dismissed! How much will the lawsuits cost the Forest Service? There'll be very little money left to actually care for the forest.