© a Quinn Martin production
Lots of you have been asking what you can do to help. This year's resolution is to affect change on The Angeles and take back OUR forest. I will have an online petition circulating soon. Thanks everybody.

Introduction:
I originally wanted to blog about my adventures in the San Gabriel Mountains. I have some good stories, like the time I took a donkey to Ralph's Supermarket. But then the Station Fire started. I realized that there is much that needs to be brought to the attention of the mountain going public. Most folks are kept in the dark about how the Angeles National Forest operates. I will raise issues that are important to me, which are hopefully important to all citizens, but if you have any suggestions for discussion here, I am willing.

Here's the big agenda: Forest Supervisor Jody Noiron. I've made a few smart remarks and cryptic comments about her. But now, with the backing of some knowledgeable and trusted friends, it is time for a concerted effort to have her removed from her post. Stay tuned for details. And if you have any information you would like to contribute, anonymously or not, email me at gregsweet4@yahoo.com

I will get to some of the stories, sooner or later. Also, I want to make it clear that I no longer work at Adams' Pack Station, that these words are my own, and that the pack station is not the source of my information - they don't want trouble.

Back Fire or Backfire? (9:09 pm 09/09/09)

I checked in with the Mt. Wilson Towercam a few times today expecting to see smoke from the back fires planned along the Rim Trail. There was none. One last look after night fall showed flames on the ridge. This was unexpected because I heard that they would only start the back fires with air support; hence the delay as air crews worked at Pleasant View Ridge and Waterman.



I called the pack station and they said that Cal-Fire told them back fires wouldn't start until 9am tomorrow. So they are worried too. But thank Heaven (pun intended) for the folks at Mount Wilson Observatory. They just posted that back fires are indeed under way by "Victor Division". Subsequent views from the Towercam have shown that many Forest Service and other official trucks are present on the mountain top, so I trust that they have current information.

I would like to thank Cal-Fire for keeping the folks in Big Santa Anita Canyon apprised of plans and operations, there would not have been this kind of communication from the Forest Service. One thing is sure, with so much attention on this fire, and with so much inter-agency involvement, it would be hard for the Angeles management to screw this up, or worse.

No comments: