© a Quinn Martin production
Lots of you have been asking what you can do to help. This year's resolution is to affect change on The Angeles and take back OUR forest. I will have an online petition circulating soon. Thanks everybody.

Introduction:
I originally wanted to blog about my adventures in the San Gabriel Mountains. I have some good stories, like the time I took a donkey to Ralph's Supermarket. But then the Station Fire started. I realized that there is much that needs to be brought to the attention of the mountain going public. Most folks are kept in the dark about how the Angeles National Forest operates. I will raise issues that are important to me, which are hopefully important to all citizens, but if you have any suggestions for discussion here, I am willing.

Here's the big agenda: Forest Supervisor Jody Noiron. I've made a few smart remarks and cryptic comments about her. But now, with the backing of some knowledgeable and trusted friends, it is time for a concerted effort to have her removed from her post. Stay tuned for details. And if you have any information you would like to contribute, anonymously or not, email me at gregsweet4@yahoo.com

I will get to some of the stories, sooner or later. Also, I want to make it clear that I no longer work at Adams' Pack Station, that these words are my own, and that the pack station is not the source of my information - they don't want trouble.

LA Times: Station Fire's Strength Was Miscalculated

I my article two weeks ago entitled 'Pride Comes Before A Fall' I told you how the Forest Service let the Station Fire get away from themselves on the first day. I sent that article to the news desk of, among others, the Los Angeles Times. Here is a Times article yesterday that asks for answers about that first day...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-fire27-2009sep27,0,6025715.story

I think the headline is too kind and the County is being apologetic for the Forest Service. Not to blame the county, it is simply professional courtesy, I suppose, or just trying to stay out of the controversy. In fact, I heard that the new Forest Service Chief, Tom Tidwell ( that's the guy from D.C.), has been in town looking into the matter for himself.

The article cites a "miscalculation" on the part of the Forest Service. A major miscalculation, I might add, and the incompetence alone should be enough to investigate the handling of this fire. But I am telling you now, possibly first, this is about politics and corruption, but mostly about corruption. And anyone that wondered if I am some kind of crack-pot, you can see that what I have said is being reinforced.

I told you that the refusal of help was a cover-up of sorts. A preemptive strike against any further allegations of incompetence on the part of Angeles management, and the lack of fire suppression spending. Spending is the operative word here, not allocation. We will get into detailed questions about what is happening to all the money that was supposed to be spent on suppression and, more importantly, in my opinion, on prevention; and who is scaring away all the firefighters. If only we'd been liberal with the water buckets ten years ago...


OH! What a world, what a world!

1 comment:

Cafe Observer said...

I'm sure it's at least partially true about their "mishandling." Also, heard about wanting to handle this fire in a "Frugal" manner.