© a Quinn Martin production
Lots of you have been asking what you can do to help. This year's resolution is to affect change on The Angeles and take back OUR forest. I will have an online petition circulating soon. Thanks everybody.

Introduction:
I originally wanted to blog about my adventures in the San Gabriel Mountains. I have some good stories, like the time I took a donkey to Ralph's Supermarket. But then the Station Fire started. I realized that there is much that needs to be brought to the attention of the mountain going public. Most folks are kept in the dark about how the Angeles National Forest operates. I will raise issues that are important to me, which are hopefully important to all citizens, but if you have any suggestions for discussion here, I am willing.

Here's the big agenda: Forest Supervisor Jody Noiron. I've made a few smart remarks and cryptic comments about her. But now, with the backing of some knowledgeable and trusted friends, it is time for a concerted effort to have her removed from her post. Stay tuned for details. And if you have any information you would like to contribute, anonymously or not, email me at gregsweet4@yahoo.com

I will get to some of the stories, sooner or later. Also, I want to make it clear that I no longer work at Adams' Pack Station, that these words are my own, and that the pack station is not the source of my information - they don't want trouble.

Do You Love Your Firefighters?

All around town there are banners hung that thank the firefighters for their efforts. Firefighters are getting standing ovations in restaurants, and the memorial for two men that died in the fire required Dodger Stadium to accommodate the number of mourners.

Here is a memo (pdf) that exemplifies Jody Noiron's attitude toward her firefighters...
http://www.wildlandfire.com/docs/2007/angeles-letter-feser.pdf

"ANF Fire Patch/Coin & Back of the ANF Coin: In early April 2007, these patches --that were handed out by the ANF Chief Don Feser as a fire morale builder-- became a bone of contention. The ANF Forest Supervisor demanded they be collected and returned to her. In part this led to the early retirement of the Chief, leaving the Forest with no leadership and little experienced fire staff and also causing a hole in the Incident Management organization in R5 and the nation. Photos compliments of an unnamed source..."


And this is the general sentiment around the Angeles National Forest, taken from a firefighters' website discussion forum...

To Eastern FF:

If its true Jody is going to R9, may I be the first to open the door to let her out
of R5 with a hearty "See ya, don't let the door hit ya on the way out..."? Gosh,
hope she takes her "award" with her.

Heck if she does go, the morale of the firefighters on the ANF will rise just as
fast as suppression spending...

Fedwatcher II

No comments: