© a Quinn Martin production
Lots of you have been asking what you can do to help. This year's resolution is to affect change on The Angeles and take back OUR forest. I will have an online petition circulating soon. Thanks everybody.

Introduction:
I originally wanted to blog about my adventures in the San Gabriel Mountains. I have some good stories, like the time I took a donkey to Ralph's Supermarket. But then the Station Fire started. I realized that there is much that needs to be brought to the attention of the mountain going public. Most folks are kept in the dark about how the Angeles National Forest operates. I will raise issues that are important to me, which are hopefully important to all citizens, but if you have any suggestions for discussion here, I am willing.

Here's the big agenda: Forest Supervisor Jody Noiron. I've made a few smart remarks and cryptic comments about her. But now, with the backing of some knowledgeable and trusted friends, it is time for a concerted effort to have her removed from her post. Stay tuned for details. And if you have any information you would like to contribute, anonymously or not, email me at gregsweet4@yahoo.com

I will get to some of the stories, sooner or later. Also, I want to make it clear that I no longer work at Adams' Pack Station, that these words are my own, and that the pack station is not the source of my information - they don't want trouble.

The Big SAC

I have nicknamed Big Santa Anita Canyon The Little Canyon That Could. It looks as though the Station Fire just singed the edges of the watershed, leaving Adams' Pack Station, Sturtevant's Camp and 80 cabins untouched. I will write later about the history of this canyon, what makes it so special today, and why we ought to fight to preserve it.

Many people know Big Santa Anita Canyon by the name of a feature within: Chantry Flat (NO! It's just one flat, not "flats"). Forest Service fire officials told the pack station owners last week that if the fire were to get into the canyon, they would not defend it, that it would be too dangerous. Maybe that's partially true, but they never offered a preemptive strike. The pack station, the cabin owners, friends of the canyon and yours truly launched a campaign to bring this to the attention of the media. It has worked.

Below is a photo of the watershed, looking north, on Sunday...

Big Santa Anita Canyon


Fire breaks were originally cut to prevent possible fire from the Big SAC entering the neighborhoods below. Lines have since been cut to protect the canyon from fire at Mt. Wilson and in The West Fork of the San Gabriel River. Hand crews were knocking down what they could as it attempted to get inside.

Below are photos of the overall fire boundary on Sunday, and close-ups of areas that were closing in on the Canyon and Sturtevant's Camp (near Spruce Grove)...





Backfires along the ridge between Mt. Wilson and Newcomb's Saddle were planned for yesterday to keep the fire in the West Fork, but bigger fire broke out in the Pleasant View Ridge area in the High Country. Fortunately, the fire near Sturtevant's had died down overnight, and the last two mornings have been cool and foggy. A look at the Towercam shows how far the marine layer can penetrate the San Gabriel River Valley, including West Fork. In other words, Sturtevant's is safe so far. This statement is not all extrapolation, several little birds that have flown up to camp have told me it is still there.

Following are a couple of photos showing the big hose and the 3/4" fire hose strung all over Chantry...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff! Any word on Mt Lowe and surroundings?

Cafe Pasadena said...

Great info! Keep it going - fire or not.